Jane Klemmer, a former Managing Director at a Fortune 500 financial services company and classically trained professional violist, brings a unique perspective and relevant personal experience to her educational consulting practice. With an MBA in finance from Columbia University and a Bachelor of Arts degree in music from Wesleyan University, she recognizes that career paths do not necessarily follow a straight line. Whether students have a clear plan or are first uncovering their interests, Jane encourages them to approach the college search and application process with self-reflection and an open mind, two essential components for finding the right college fit.
In the ever-evolving field of higher education, Jane relishes the opportunity to be a perennial student herself. Whether she is cycling to colleges with the annual College Counselor Bike Tour or serving as a board member for the Independent Educational Consultants Association (IECA), Jane brings value to her practice by staying current on trends and developments in college admissions. In addition, she:
- regularly attends conferences and workshops throughout the country
- visits a minimum of fifty schools yearly, both in the U.S. and internationally, to better understand the right fit and match for her students
- stays connected to other professionals in the field as a member of several professional organizations including the Independent Educational Consultants Association (IECA), the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) and the New York State Association for College Admission Counseling (NYSACAC)
- is the Treasurer of IECA and a member of the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee, and a former member of the Executive Board of NYSACAC
- serves on the faculty of the IECA Summer Training Institute, an intensive summer session for new educational consultants
- is a Certified Educational Planner (CEP), the top distinction for educational consultants and college counselors
- holds a Certificate in College Counseling from UCLA and has completed the IECA Summer Training Institute
- speaks and writes regularly about college admission and affordability, including appearances on NBC Nightly News, news radio and in Money Magazine and The New York Times Education Life section
Jane combines her business acumen, artistic creativity and college expertise to help her students identify appropriate schools, find and express their unique voice throughout the application, and stay on track and focused. Her coaching style consistently stresses taking ownership and developing the confidence to be one’s own advocate through the college process and beyond. An experienced mentor and the mother of three daughters, she is keenly aware of the importance of providing guidance, structure and inspiration to a young person while helping that individual develop a sense of self.
In addition to her private client practice, Jane conducts seminars on college admission, essay writing and navigating financial aid. She is certified to administer both the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality assessment and the Strong Interest Inventory. Committed to helping youth in her community, she offers a scholarship to her local high school through which she advises first generation, under-served students on the college admission process.
Immediately following completion of her undergraduate education and before entering graduate school, Jane was a professional violist in New York City and performed and taught music in Venezuela. She remains active in her local music community and performs regularly with orchestras and chamber groups.